Rule not my mind. Thine own is thine mind. Rule thou it.




Thursday, March 24, 2011

Satirically. Kwentuhan about one of my one-day-city-wandering

Its a good thing I drifted from a common "wherever-my-feet-takes-me" from our house to Robinson's mall 'til here, in McDonald's. I am here, sitting, resting my exhausted legs, taking in the cold air from the dampened air-conditioner, and contemplating to all that's happening.
I remember a few two days or so, I got home late and was welcomed by my sister's questioning look. Apparently, she informed that she have answered a phone call from Global agency, asking if Anna Pastor (me) was at home and they're going to confirm my availability to accept a slot in their company for a summer job. Surprised, I realized I'm only 17 years old and they're taking effort to hire me? That's something already.
Next, I passed by National Bookstore and was overwhelmed by the huge red sign-age dangling a SALE on selected items. I bought one and went upstairs to check on more books, especially to visit my favorite shelves on classic literature. Even more overwhelmed, I saw my wish-listed books all present there! From Sherlock Holmes up to all the bantam collections on Hugo, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Dickens etc! I started telling each books "You, I'll have you soon, and also you.. and you.. you too and.." and another part of my conscience popped to say "You really got to get a summer job!"
I scrammed.
Walked out the mall and at the sidewalks of Ortigas Ave., I saw hundreds of corporate employed  men and women, all wearing corporate attire. Long sleeved, short sleeved polos, slacks, watches of different brand, labeled shoes, brief cases and ties...etc. I even got entertained by silently naming what brand or from where they bought what they're wearing since I can distinguish some of it.
I then passed by oriental square building and the facade was over-crowded by its employees. I found out that the commotion was due to a fire which occurred for some reason, I didn't care to know. But its remarkable how they were kept entertained by the fire fighters as they ostentatiously fire their extinguishers.
I kept walking til I reached El Pueblo and settle myself in McDonald's.
There I was. Happened to seat beside the employment manager who was casually interviewing young men in a not-so professional way, for they congregate in a place associating with the tables for customers. The woman, perhaps the interviewer, spoke in such a way as if she wanted to intimidate his young interviewees. I rolled my eyes, stood up and went to the front desk area to order my meal. Surprised, again, the familiar crew faces I'm used seeing there was gone and replaced by the different, more attractive elite faces. Then I remembered the recent McDonald's commercial wherein two girls kept coming back to McDonald's Drive-thru because the crew was handsome.
I was puzzled. Do employment agencies now see basis on social background and facial value? Is the McDonaldization stepping on a higher, stricter phase? Will these young men, (including me, If I get a summer job) regret entering into the reality of society at a young, fresh age? Is the... -  I lost track. I heard a lady (who was a mcdo crew) shout behind my back "Welcome to McDonald's Sir, Ma'am!" - and she proclaimed it in a very accented tone as if she have took days practicing its intonation. I sighed and retraced my line of thought. Oh! the corporate employees- did they all graduate college? How many of them got the job just because they got backers? How many of them were able to experience being irregular students? How many of them were deliberately able to get a uniformed UNO (1) all throughout their transcript of records? Any Dean's listers? Any philosophy majors? Is a prompt good grades, really the basis for a good job? Is the corporate world really the ones to tag "good jobs"? Are the hundreds of corporate employees which were uniformed in a corporate polos, slacks and ties Free? Or don't they know what's a crap society's cancer is becoming as it eludes liberty in our lives?
Sigh. How annoying question I mustered. I wish I was a goddess to answer all the incalculable queries I laid. Oh wait- I am a goddess! Demigoddess for that matter  :- )
I'll just bite this away to my burger and drink my monster cokefloat to ease away truth from my mind... like what all people do. Ignore the reality. Satirically.

No comments:

Post a Comment